Saturday, January 30, 2010


It just now took me 5 minutes to figure out how to make a new post! Pathetic!


Would anyone like to solve a mystery for me? I found this piece of rather old looking stitched linen among a pile of white hankerchiefs in an antique store. The piece is done entirely in chain stitch. I can tell that it is done almost entirely in silk threads -- except for the dark brown, which feels very coarse. I've read that long ago it wasn't uncommon for people to use human or horse hair in their stitching. I could easily believe that it is horse hair in this case.



So the thing is, what's up with it being done entirely in chain stitch? Is this something that was popular during a certain period of time, and if so, during what time period? What country would this style have originated from and was it common in the USA at some point? Does anyone out there know?

Sue








No comments:

Post a Comment