Saturday, April 21, 2012

Hello Stitchers!

A few weekends ago I went out to play and went to Colchester Mills Fabrics -- a wonderful quilting and more shop in Colchester, CT.  The selection of fabrics is just WONDERFUL! 

I'm really not a sewer -- I'm a stitcher.  But I occasionally need fabrics for finishing or for other small items I make.  Sometimes I see "pretties" and just have to get them!  Many times I have no idea at the moment what I might do with them...but they almost always become something later.

On this trip I found these fat quarters and they were just so pretty together I had to get them all!  And then I saw some gorgeous thread, a pack of buttons, and these scissors!  I was unable to resist them, have no idea what I'll do with them right now...but they are there when I want them!  LOL!

Some of you have seen my very adorable great niece Mckenzie.  That little bundle of sweetness is now 2-1/2 years old.  Here's her Easter picture.  Can she possible get any cuter?!? 


I've been very busy working on plans for this years Stitcher's Hideaway retreats -- and the ones to come in 2013.  A lot of work goes on behind the scenes to create these fun events.  Each one has been quite different from the other, and continues to be so.  I've now run 32 retreats and this October will mark the 10th Anniversary of Stitcher's Hideaway!  What wonderful stitchers I have met through the retreats -- so fun and talented!  Many have become very dear friends to me.

On July 5-6, 2012, Ellen Chester of With My Needle will be teaching her Fruit of the Vine design, which can be made as either a sampler or a huswif.  She'll be teaching at the Publick House in Sturbridge, MA.  Several attendees are arriving early to celebrate Independence Day at Old Sturbridge Village.  During the retreat,  there will be a presentation on Celebrating Patriotism by Old Sturbridge Village staff members Jean Contino, Coordinator of Households, and Rebecca Beall, Collections Manager.  The presentation will include a look at excerpts from letters and diaries describing 19th century celebrations such as Independence Day, and a variety of objects from the Old Sturbridge Village collection such as needlework pictures with patriotic motifs, embroidered memorials to George Washington, dress clothing which might have been worn for festive celebrations, and an assortment of household objects bearing patriotic imagery. This will be a wonderful addition to the retreat!  If you haven't signed up yet, visit the Sturbridge Retreat for all the details! 




My husband and father and I are looking forward to this event so very much!  We hope to take in the fireworks at Old Sturbridge Village on July 3rd, and then spend time there on July 4th.  If you haven't yet been to Old Sturbridge Village, I recommend it!  It's a recreated village, circa 1860, that one can walk about and enjoy at leisure.  It's relaxing, enjoyable, and educational. There is also a gift shop on the premises with a fantastic book section.  I always get lost in there!

Well, my friends.  It's Saturday and I have much work to get done.  Until next time, my best to you all -

Sue


3 comments:

  1. How I wish I could have afforded to attend every one of those 32 retreats ... something of an impossibility since I only heard of your wonderful events in 2007 and have been attending one a year ever since. Your news reports always leave me wishing I could have been at the ones I missed, though! Here's wishing your surgery goes well and you recover quickly enough to stitch in October.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to July--in fact, I'm counting the days.

    ReplyDelete